Monday, October 19, 2009

DIY: Keepsake Garter, Version 2.0

I suppose this is a kind of like a repeat post.  You might recall a previous DIY post about a garter I made

Remember this one??

Well I decided it was just a little too bulky, so I made a new one.  Mr. T and I both went to the same college, and he actually played football here, so I thought it was only appropriate to have a University of Illinois garter.  (This way I can use it as my "something blue" also).


I had the Illinois material left over from another project I'm currently in the middle of, and there's a variety of elastic sizes and lengths in our sewing room, so all I needed to buy was 3" sheer ribbon.  I got 1 1/2 yards but ended up using only about a yard of it. 

I didn't take pictures of the process, but it was even easier than the first garter.  Since the ribbon has finished edges it was ready to be used.  I cut the Illini fabric to about 1/2" wider than the elastic I was using, so I think it was about 1 1/2" wide.  I folded under the top and bottom about a quarter of an inch and ironed the edges.  Then I just pinned it on top of the sheer ribbon and sewed along both edges to create a pocket.  Then you just slide the elastic through and sew your ends together.  Super easy.

I like this version much better since it's not so bulky and thick.  I'm going to make another one to use for the toss garter, and I'll do the same thing, but with a skinnier sheer white ribbon so it has less of a bottom ruffle.  Then they'll both need a bow of sorts of the front.  Maybe I'll get a charm of Mr. T's football number to put on my keepsake one.

Do you have any projects you've made multiples of, or do I just have too much time on my hands?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails