Monday, August 24, 2009

DIY: Totes

I fell in love with these totes from theknot.com but wasn't thrilled with the color choices, or the price. At $24.00 each or 14.99 on sale, it just wasn't going to happen multiplying that by 5. And the shipping there is crazy!

So I decided I would make them myself!!

And here is what I came up with...

It is finished, minus the handles. I need to finish those up the next time I go home.
I decided to go without a monogram, because I wasn't sure if the girls would want it or not.  But I do plan on adding a ribbon, or tag or sorts for them to distinguish whose is whose.

Step-by-step Tutorial: ( I will post the dimensions when I go home again and get the pattern, it's currently underneath our china cabinet, so it may be awhile!)

1. Cut out the pieces for the middle panel.
2. Place the right sides together of the green and tan and sew with a 1/2" seam. Then repeat with the other tan square. This will result in a long middle panel. (Iron your seams open.)

3. Place this panel right sides together with the lining piece. Sew around all four sides with a 1/2" seam leaving an opening to turn it right side out.

4. Clip your corners and turn it out.

5. Iron flat.


6. Now cut out the side panels. Two tan panels, and two lining panels. 7. Place right sides together and sew around all 4 edges with a 1/2" seam allowance. Clip the corners and turn right side out. Iron flat. Repeat with the other side panel.


8. Pin side panel along the front, bottom, and back of the middle panel. Sew with a 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat with other side panel.
9. Turn bag inside out and iron.

I have to make the handles still but I will post about then when I get them done!! I just had to share with you all how cute these are. And don't worry, I'll add the dimensions when I get them.


The last thing I'll share with you is the price breakdown...cause it's really pretty wonderful!
3 yards of tan duck cloth (regular price 7.99) 40% off =14.37
1 yard of green duck cloth @ 7.99
12 yards of cotton piping (for the handles) @ .79 =9.48
Lining left over from another project.
Total for 6 bags = $31.84
Each bag = $5.31

I purchased the duck cloth and piping from Jo-Ann Fabrics. By signing up for the mailing list I got a coupon for 40% off which I used on the tan. The lining I bought on sale from Hobby Lobby.

1 comment:

  1. could you post your dimensions or email them to me! I am super excited to make totes for my bridesmaids :) rdmstar7@yahoo.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails