This is the first of many projects that resulted from a major spending spree at Hobby Lobby =] Just further proof that we're in love!
So while wandering through the flower section right up front I was originally looking at doing a nice, full rose or other flower, but those were all so expensive. So I kept walking and in the middle aisle they had out all their fall "mums" and they white ones they had looked perfect.
And don't think I didn't get them at 50% off!!
Here's what I spent:
3 Bunches of flowers (9.99)@50% off = 16.50
6" Styrofoam ball @ 3.99
6" Styrofoam ball @ 3.99
Ribbon and hot glue I already had
Originally I thought I would be making this super cheap, thinking I only needed one bunch of flowers. But I had to make a return trip (and buy many other things!) to buy 2 more bunches. In the end I only ended up using 2 1/4 bunches, so I have white flowers for any other projects I'll need. So just remember, it takes a lot more than you think it would!
Here's my step-by-step.
1. Poke a hole all the way through the styrofoam. I just used a pen for this and shoved it through. I wanted the ribbon to hang out the bottom as well.
2. Fold the ribbon over, and push the loop through the hole. For this I used the same pen to push the ribbon through.
3. Get the loop the length you want, taking into consideration that the flowers will bulk up the ball. Then overhand tie a knot at the base of the loop and pull the ribbon down until the knot is resting inside the hole. I hotglued the knot so it wouldn't go anywhere.
4. Cut your ribbon tails to length and use the same knot process, gluing it in place.
(I forgot to take pictures of this part, but hopefully you get the idea!)
5. Pop all the flowers off their stems. Using the little stem piece still there poke a hole into the styrofoam where you plan to place the flower.
7. Repeat for remainder of ball.
I placed the flowers in a circle at the top, and then a circle at the bottom. Then for the second layer I placed flowers in the space between the flowers of the first row. Repeat at bottom. Then I filled in the middle of the ball.
As you can tell I worked from top, to bottom, and then filled in the middle.
I loved the way it turned out, but if I had anything to differently about it, and here's some advice for you, I would have used a 5" ball.
I really don't think it is going to be too big for a 4 year old to carry, which is why I'm not worried about redoing it or anything.