Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our Engagement

The Date
How He Popped The Question
We had been talking about the future and our plans for awhile leading up to this. We both figured that we would know when it was right, even if it was all happening pretty quickly. For the month leading up to this we had been talking about getting engaged and when we would like to get married, and we both knew it was going to happen, it was just a matter of when. We even went as far as looking at rings one time in the mall. But we both decided he should use his Great-Grandma's 80+ year old ring his Grandma had given him. He was going to be in MN for a week figuring out housing and I was flying up to meet him for the weekend and then driving home with him. I hinted that it would be the perfect time to pop the question =] (it didn't take much convincing on my part to get him to agree) I even knew the day that he took my dad to lunch to ask his permission. So I knew, or hoped anyways, that it would be happening, I just didn't know how or exactly when.
I got into Minnesota on a Thursday night and we spent the weekend looking at places to live and figuring out work situations. It wasn't until we were driving home Saturday afternoon that it happened. He pulled off the highway and I figured he was going to a gas station or stopping for food. Then he proceeded to keep driving and nearly get us lost while looking for a little side road he had been to before. He finally found the road that led down to the St. Croix River beach.

He told me this river was significant because it is the borderline between WI (where I spent a lot of time growing up) and MN (where he spent many vacations). By this point I had a pretty good idea of what was happening. So we got out of the truck on a cold windy day and we walked down onto the beach. We were standing in the sand staring out at the water wishing it was warmer out =] Then he got down on one knee and proceeded to tell me many things, most of which I don't remember because I was so excited =] He finished with how much he loved me and how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, and then asked me to marry him. It only took me about a half a second to say yes!
The ring in this picture belonged to Mr. T's Great-Grandma. His grandma found it on her mother's nursing home floor after her fingers got too small and it fell off. She gave it to Mr. T. because he is the oldest grandson. It's over 80 years old! I think it is absolutely gorgeous, and it is even more special to me because it was passed down to him. It has the wedding band welded to it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails