Monday, February 1, 2010

Creamy Broccoli and Meat Lasagna

I think at one point I said this blog would be mostly wedding, with a little extra thrown in.  Well here's the extra!

You might remember my non New Year's resolution; well since then I've only worked out like 3 times! ha so I've decided that instead of working out to get the weight that I want off, I'm going to go back to eating healthier and counting my calories.  I don't remember if I talked about it or not, but last spring I lost 20 pounds by cutting my daily caloric intake to just over 1,000.  I kept track of everything I put in my mouth with an app on my iPod touch called Lose it!  It lets me search foods or enter in my own nutritional facts and keeps a running tally of my daily calories.

So last night I searched and found recipes for dinner for every night for the next week and a half.  They're all under 400 calories per serving.  I went shopping this morning, spent more than usual because it was a lot of fresh produce, and tried out my first new recipe tonight.  And it was a success!

I made a small change to the recipe I found here.  When I told Mr. T what I was making his first question was if it had any meat in it.  Well it didn't, so I added it in.

Ingredients
6 lasagna noodles cooked
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 Tbs olive oil
1/3 cup flour
¾ tsp garlic powder
2 ½ cups milk
3 cups fresh broccoli chopped
3/4 - 1 lb ground beef 
1 ½ cups low fat cottage cheese
 Directions
Brown the meat, drain and set aside.
Boil water, cook the lasagna noodles until they are firm to the bite.
In a large saucepan, saute the onions in oil until they are tender
Add the flour and garlic powder.  Stir until blended.
 
Gradually add the milk.  Bring to a boil.  Cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.


Add the broccoli.  Cook for 3 minutes.
Add in the meat.
Stir in the cottage cheese.
Coat a 13x9x2 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Layer 3 cooked noodles and 1/2 of the sauce.
 
  
 Repeat for the next layer.
Cover and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until it is bubbly and the broccoli is tender.
Makes 8 servings.  As in I cut it into 8 pieces.


The first couple of slices came out a little messy, but it was delicious and creamy and good!
I paired it with a salad of spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots.
And water, because it has no calories!

Nutritional facts: I entered in all of the ingredients into my Lose It! app and here is the following per serving.
236 cal, 7.4g fat, 9mg cholest, 242.3mg sodium, 21.8g carb, 1.7g fiber, 20.1g protein
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails