Wednesday, November 11, 2009

DIY: Invitations, Sneak Peak

It's been a looong time coming, but don't get too excited!  I haven't even begun to post about all of my inspiration, ideas, etc.  And chances are, it won't happen for awhile either.  I will probably do a series of posts soon about all the invitations I have saved for inspiration, but I won't actually get into my own for awhile.  I'm still changing and revising, and then changing some more.  The basic concept is the same, but the details change from day to day.  So I'll wait until they're totally done and ready to leave before I share them with you all.

But the other day I was working on a small part of my invitations (yes, I'll be making them of course) and thought I would give you a sneak peek.  This isn't going to give you a whole lot of insight into my design, and it's not super exciting, but I have to start somewhere.

Earlier this summer I thought it would be a good idea to make my own envelopes. 
Yup, you read that right.  I'm making 130+ envelopes, when I can just as easily buy them at the store.  But here's my defense.  Each piece of white cardstock costs $0.05 which means I can make 130 for $6.50.  And they're exactly the right size.

I believe the origin of this crazy idea went something like this:  I made a mock-up of my invitation.  I didn't have any envelopes at the house.  I was really antsy to try this new envelope lining fad.  I found templates in the basement from my mom's old stamping days.  I decided to alter one to fit my invitation.  I made a liner to go with it.  I was sold, easy as that.
And now not so easy, is the process of making a bajillion more.  It actually is quite easy, it's just extremely time consuming.  To date, I have about 100 made, and only 50 or so lined.  p.s. if you're going to run envelopes through your printer, do that first, and THEN line them.  I learned this the hard way.

This is the most recent stack of 50 I worked on.  You can see a peek of the lining if you look closely.

And that's all you get.
But if you remember, I already shared my map with you, so I'm not doing too bad.
There will be much more I promise!

1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is wow! I wouldn't even know where to begin with all this! You are so talented! Can't wait to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails